First I wanted to start this week by saying that I hope everyone has a great week, and work hard early because you know you are not going to want to do anything by Friday, and if you are in Indianapolis like me, we have a little thing called Carb Day and the Indianapolis 500 coming up quick.
Today I wanted to go over some other information on Accident Prevention. My feeling is that there are two basic approaches to preventing accidents, and those are to control the work environment, in other words, identify the possible problem areas and address them the best you can. The second is to manage the attitudes of everyone involved from upper management down to the hourly worker. In order to have a successful plan, everyone needs to be on board and work together to achieve a safe workplace.
A successful plan combines both environmental control and managing attitude and behavior. Accidents are frequently preceded by related incidents and near misses, and are therefor both predictable and preventable. The causes of the accidents and near misses that do happen cannot be left unattended. This incidents need to be identified through observation, investigation and analysis. I would also suggest defining what is an accident, an incident, and a near miss. The following are some suggestions.
- Accident.The National Safety Council defines an “accident” as an undesired event that results in personal injury or property damage.
- Incident.An “incident” is an unplanned, undesired event that adversely affects completion of a task.
- Near miss. A “near miss” is an incident in which no property was damaged and no personal injury sustained, but given a slight shift in time or position, damage and/or injury could easily have occurred.
King Operator wants to be your partner in preventing all of the above. Please let us help you to identify products that can help keep everyone in your facility or on your job site safe. Check out some of our top selling products like the Ergodyne Chill-Its® GB5155 Low-Profile Hydration Packs and the OccuLux® Class 2 Premium Expandable Two-Tone Mesh Vests available on our website. Our special this month the Sqwincher Powder Pack™ Dry Mixis available by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org for $130.00. These are 80 pack cases down from $189.22. Feel free to call 317.503.8611 or email email@example.com with questions or comments.
- How to Prevent Arc Flash April 24, 2013The best way to prevent arc flash or to protect workers in the event of an accident is through effective training. In addition to being “qualified” under OSHA’s electrical standard, workers who may be exposed to arc flash hazards need to understand why arc flash occurs, how to prevent […]
- Slip and Trips are a Common Hazard March 21, 2013Slips and trips are an all-too-common occupational hazard estimated to cause hundreds of thousands of accidents and injuries on the job every year. The chief cause of slips is (no surprise) a slippery surface, compounded by improper footwear. There are two types of slips: -In the first, the heel of the forward foot […]
- How to Prevent Arc Flash April 24, 2013